Sunday, June 12, 2016

Why do you collect?

hockey memorabilia collection

It’s funny, we meet hundreds of autograph and memorabilia collectors each year, through our own business, Facebook page, in person as card show and sports expos. I have always found it amazing the number of people who collect jerseys, signatures on photos, sticks, bats ,etc.  What is their motivation for collecting?  Is it for personal use like a man cave addition, monetary to re-sell, or is it just collecting their favorite players autograph or jersey?

Ray Bourque Jersey-Signed Boston Bruins Vintage White Jersey|Ray Bourque Jersey Autographed Boston Bruins Vintage Jersey|When I began this business six years ago it was a dream.  I was a collector like everyone who reads this blog post and visits our site to see the items we have for sale.  For me growing up my favorite player was Ray Bourque, I got my first Bruins Jersey when I was sixteen years old and I was hooked on jerseys from there.  I thought it was the coolest thing to own a jersey with my favorite players name on it and wore it proudly, even though I live in leaf land.  Didn’t matter, I was happy.  That’s where the passion began.  Yes Ray Bourque was my favorite player, however there were other players I enjoyed watching as well. Wayne Gretzky, Doug Gilmour, Steve Yzerman, Paul Coffey etc.

So I thought, I could add to my collection, which I did, I got my Yzerman, Gretzky, Coffey and Gilmour jerseys, then I knew I was hooked, it was a hobby and a passion.  Then, I got the best  gift ever (back in my youth), a signed photo of Ray Bourque!  I  thought this was the coolest thing as now I have a sweater and a signed photo of my favorite player!  The icing on the cake was meeting Ray Bourque a number of years later! Doesn’t matter how old you are to meet you idol growing up, you do feel like that little boy or girl inside. It was such a cool feeling!

That’s why we started Slap Shot Signatures, to help fuel passion to collectors and help fill a childhood dream of some sorts.  It all started with one jersey!  What’s your collecting story? We would love to hear from you!

The post Why do you collect? appeared first on Slapshot Signatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment